Testing plays a very important role in development of a website. The following checklist serves as a quick reference and guide for you to test any website:
1. Test all links:
- Check all internal hyperlinks : Verify whether all links are jumping to correct destination.
- Check all external hyperlinks: Verify whether external hyperlinks like social network links and email links are correct.
- Check whether there are any orphan links or links that jump on the same page.
- Test all header and footer links which are constant for all pages.
2. Test forms if present:
- Try to submit form without Mandatory and Optional field.
- Check for field validation.
- Check error handling for wrong input.
- Check whether default/standard values are proper.
3. Test content:
- Verify whether information on all pages is correct and easy to understand.
- Test for spelling and grammatical errors.
- Check contact details and email addresses.
- Help content: Check files in the help section, search field and the site map.
- Proper images.
- Also check above points for pop-ups.
4. Test navigation:
- If menu is provided then check for its consistency in entire website.
- Check for navigation using keyboard and shortcuts.
5. Graphical User Interface (GUI) check:
- Font size and color.
- Cursor or mouse focus.
- Location of buttons , images, symbols and logos.
- Scrolling: Avoid long scrolling.
- Consistent design.
- Dark colors should be avoided.
6. Cookies and Java scripts:
- Test cookies and Java scripts that should be enabled or blocked.
7. Browser and OS compatibility:
- Check for design and GUI issues on multiple platform and for different screen resolutions.
- Test on different browsers and its versions like IE 6, IE8, Mozilla Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, etc.
- Also test on different OS and its browsers like Windows 7, XP, Vista, Mac, Linux, and Solaris.
8. Compatibility on gadgets and mobile platforms:
- Test for OS like Symbian, Android, iOS, Bada, etc., used for mobiles, tablets and smart phones. Nowadays, some TV sets also provide facility for browsing.
In this blog I have tried to cover all aspects for testing of website. In upcoming blog I will cover testing of web applications.